Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Everyday is a Gift...Sign Tutorial

Hello Friends! Today I am going to show you a cute little sign I made... 
 
I was at my local Dollar Tree when I picked up this pretty vinyl. I love this saying: Everyday is a gift. I truly believe that, so I wanted to make a sign to put in my bedroom so that every morning  I will see it and have it serve as a reminder that each day is a gift from God.
 
Everyday is a gift has had a special meaning to me after the last week.  I have been so sick; like really, really sick. I missed three days of work, and the whole weekend.  I went to the doctor (which means I was really sick, I'm a little stubborn like that.) I am feeling better, but I underestimated  how much energy just everything takes; getting ready for work, walking in the building, working...I am exhausted.  I hope to be back to 100% soon, but regardless, every single day I am alive is a gift, and am grateful for it.
 
So back to my sign.  I thought I was just going to paint it on a piece of wood, but when I was at Hobby Lobby I found this sign, with hardware attached on back for half off and it was exactly the right size, so I went with it.  For less than $3 I took it home and got started.
 
Now here is where I made a mistake.  I should have primed it.  I don't know why I didn't.  I obviously wasn't thinking.  Instead I started painting with this hot pink paint (Modest Magenta-I love that name!)  This is the same kind of tester I used in my welcome sign (HERE)
 
 
It took five coats of paint to get it a good color.

Once I had the shade of pink I wanted I placed the $1 vinyl sticker on the sign, then I hung it above my closet door.

I like it. ☺ My whole sign cost around $5. I like when things turn out cheap and like I imagined in my head. ☺
 
 So, things got a bit mixed up because I've been sick, but I have decided to start a regular posting schedule as follows:
 
Monday-Monday Musings (about this and that)
Thursdays-A craft or project post
Saturday (or sometimes Sunday)-Thrift Store Saturdays (about my thrifting treasures for the week)
 
I may also do posts at other times, but I am going to make a concerted effort to post three times a week with this format. I hope that you will consider joining me by becoming a regular reader of This Little Light. You can follow me here on the blog, by e-mail or here on Facebook . I am just happy to have you here. 
 
I will be back Thursday with something! Lol (Can you tell I am flying by the seat of my pants this week?) See you soon friends! ☺


Linking this project up at these great parties:

Creative Headquarters Stay Calm & Link Up Party ( and in my rush to link up I spelled the word tutorial wrong (how embarrassing)-duh!




TDC Before and After

 

8 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling better sweetie. Your life was a gift to me. :) I love you! - Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks Mom :) You are so sweet. I love you too!

      Delete
  2. Great project! I love those signs, and stuck, "a dream is a wish your heart makes" on my kiddos' crib. I just embellished some flip flops with butterflies found at the dollar store. Love that place! Great color on your sign, by the way!

    Kristin
    Www.exploringdomesticity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin! I love the dollar store too! You just never know what you are going to find there! I saw those butterfiles, I just couldn't think of what to do with them. Embellished flip flops, what a great idea! I love that hot pink color, I have several other projects planned with it! Thanks for visiting me! :)

      Delete
  3. LOVE your sign and dollar store projects. I made signs too. New follow. Stop by and follow me too at http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/06/beachy-signs.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, for stopping by and for the follow! I am following you back, your beach sign turned out really good. I love that you have a "dressing" room. How fun! I also enjoyed your newest post about your backyard. I am in the process of fixing mine up. :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely saying. It made a fabulous sign.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Traci! I agree, I love that saying! :)

      Delete